Best and worst movies of the year

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Best and worst movies of the year

Post by SpaceKookie on Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:29 pm

After just watching "Man of Steel" and realising that it's probably among the top 10 shitty movies I've ever wittnessed I thought...hey, why not talk about stuff like that :p In general I'm a pretty hardcore movie watcher. I usually get them on BluRay and watch them at least 3-4 times. Sooo.

In the year of 2013 I thought the best movie I've seen was Django: Unchained.
Within the last YEAR (Coungint 2012) it was most definately Cloud Atlas.

The worst movie of 2013 goes to Man of Steel closely followed by Obvilion. Very Happy
If I again include 2012 as well it'd be Battleship for that time period.

So I'm interested. What movies did you like most? What did you like least? What did you absolutely hate?

Last edited by IGBC on Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Moderation: Yellow Title is not within bounds)

SpaceKookie

http://www.katharinasabel.de

Back to top Go down

Re: Best and worst movies of the year

Post by Aediren Rowenus on Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:39 pm

Honestly I know that I have not seen a great many movies as compared to some of my friends. I have finally gotten around to watching Cloud Atlas though, it was a very interesting movie with a very believable storyline. Definitely one of the best new movies I have seen so far. I have seen Chronicle and It was an ok movie but it wasn't super special or anything. I gotta say I did like the Sherlock Holmes movie and it's sequel Sherlock Holmes a Game of Shadows. Those were just intriguing movies to watch. It would be interesting to hear what people think of Prometheus. I thought it was a good movie although Idk what the hell they were thinking with the Alien evolution deal. XD Perhaps setting up for a sequel? As great as some movies are though, I get sick of the same studios that run everything. There is an independent movie being crowdfunded that if it makes it out to a mass audience could be a massive wake up call (especially for Americans). Its called SANTO 7.13.15. Created by the independent film maker Robert Everest. The film is about Maxwell Cooper, a man caught in a dystopian future where the world was in a very volatile place. Auto-immune disorders and sterility were at an all time high. SANTO corporation steps in with the answer "We can help you with those diseases, if you let us take our genetic-modification program to the next level". But what they didn't tell us, is that they would own us as intellectual property as a result. Because of the policy of genetic-modification and ownership of those patents and intellectual property, SANTO has the right to recall any and all species that they deem "fallible". In order to have a child, Max persuades his wife to go under the genetic-modification program, but what he didn't realize is that SANTO would own the genetic sequence and DNA of the very thing that he was trying to create. His child was born with a disability, SANTO corporation had the right to recall her and take her to a "deconstruction" camp. After losing his daughter, his wife soon left, and Max is left with only one thing to do. And that is to try and fight back at the very powers that caused this problem to begin with, and give humanity back its freedom. He does this through another child who goes through the inevitable "deconstruction" camp, that SANTO has so gracefully set up for those they recall. This movie, while being a fiction, has a great deal of truth in it as well as being about awareness. Robert Everest has a message here for everyone that he won't sell out. he already said no to a deal with a studio because they wanted him to take out the message against the real Monsanto corporation that its based from, as well as the message against genetic-modification. Here's the link if anyone is interested! Smile

http://santomovie.com

https://www.facebook.com/Santo071315
Aediren Rowenus

Back to top Go down

Post by SpaceKookie on Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:04 am

Damn....I'll have to put the two Sherlock movies on my watch list. I haven't seen them yet. I only her that Bennedickt Cumberbatch is *frack* awesome in them :p
I really liked Cloud Atlas because it single handedly managed to combine 6 gendes and 6 timelines into one movie and it felt so seemless. The Wachowskis are seriously one of the best directors of this time.

Prometheus was a good movie if it hadn't been for the suble nods and hints into the Alien direction. Later revealed that it was actually a Pre-Prequal to the Alien frenchise. And I heard that the director pulled a 180 mid production. That's why it kinda feels like it does xD

That SANTO movie looks really interesting, I got to check it out.

Any movies you completely disliked? :p Something that really annoys me in modern movies even more than in old ones (because I know that times were different) is the lack of female protagonists. An action movie will usually have like one woman in in them for eye candy and alabi to not appear completely sexist. But if you look at the amount of movies that actually pass the Bechdel Test...it's really really sad Sad

SpaceKookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Niarro on Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:49 am

The movie of this year that I've enjoyed the most so far would have to be Pacific Rim, lol X3

Niarro

Back to top Go down

Post by Day66 on Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:29 pm

Elysium i really enjoyed, just loved the grittyness of the cgi and ships as likeness of district 9 one of my faves and cant wait for district 10.
Star Trek Into Darkness was super cool apart from Simon Pegg as Scottie, i dunno maybe just me but he just doesn't quite fit the part.
Oblivion has to be the most disappointing load of shite i have ever seen, a film that started out promising then seemed to be laid waste to oppressive tom cruise poop half way through so bad i had to walk out so never saw the ending.
Cloud Atlas was deep and very enjoyable good old tom hanks.
Best movie surprise i think last year, i dunno, was Life of Pi.
Leonardo di caprio is one of those actors that can actually act so its no surprise either that Django unchained was good.
I'm a big sci fi fan and it's been a good year but i still wouldn't go anywhere near after earth, i'll wait until that comes on t.v. and i'm totally totally bored of life.
Day66

Back to top Go down

Post by ALC on Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:26 pm

Worst movie: Riddick — what a disappointment that was!
Best movie: Django and Cloud Atlas would get my vote.

ALC

Back to top Go down

Post by SpaceKookie on Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:32 am

ALC wrote:Worst movie: Riddick — what a disappointment that was!
Really? Nawww Sad I didn't watch any trailers yet because I just wanted to see it in a cinema because I'm a Katee Sackhoff fanatic Very Happy Oh well...I'll still try to stay open minded.

@Day66 agree on all posts :p Though I haven't seen Elysium yet. I'm still living in a small town which has one cinema. And I always want to watch movies in the original language. But because there are limited english-language licences in Germany smaller towns get them for a day e.g. and big cities get them for longer. I hope they'll still be on when I'm in Berlin :p

What I find really annoying in a lot of movies is the amount that pass the Bechdel test. And even if they do the amount of female characters in movies. Into Darkness was the best example for that. Uhura is the first that is charachterized by talking about RELATIONSHIP problems during a mission. You could argue that she's just nervous or something.
The second: Dr. Carol Marcus (a walking reference to another, BETTER movie :p) that is only in the movie to disarm that one torpedoe and pose in her underwear in the process. -_-

I don't know if I'm the only one upset about this lol. But it's something that has been annoying me for a while now and it's just reached a point that I feel I need to bitch about it :p

SpaceKookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Niarro on Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:18 am

Even from the trailers you can tell that the new Riddick movie is essentially just the first one all over again, heh

Niarro

Back to top Go down

Post by ALC on Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:30 am

@Spacey
I'm a Katee Sackhoff fanatic too — she's the only good thing about the Riddick movie! (She's good in Longmire too!).

@Niarro
The problem with Riddick was that it lacked the sharpness of the original 'Pitch Black' (one of my favourite SciFi movies, btw), it was all about Riddick and not about the situation. too much vin, and not enough diesel If it had been a remake, it would have been better.

ALC

Back to top Go down

Post by assasing123 on Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:44 am

Dragon ball was AWESOME!, iron man 3, was okays good, Into the darkess... left me a bit disappointed, haven't seen man of steel... gonna download it today to see it, but so far dragon ball was the best Very Happy
assasing123

Back to top Go down

Post by IGBC on Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:16 am

I don't think I've seen a good new release in 2013...

in order of dissapointingness (most disappointing first):
ST into darkness (Benedict Cumberbatch carried that film, all the way through)
A Good day to Die Hard (come on Die Hard 4.0 was Sooo good)
Oblivion (Was expecting a hard Sci Fi: Dafuc was that)
IRON MAN 3 (meh it's the third in a Marvel Series)

Films I haven't seen but Have the potential to be good:
Elysium

IGBC

Back to top Go down

Post by SpaceKookie on Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:53 pm

Oblivion was just a cheap Moon ripoff. GO watch Moon from 2009. THAT was an awesome movie! Oblivion was just poop.

Haven't seen the latest Die Hard yet :p But I shall. And I hope to catch Elysium in Berlin in it's original title.

SpaceKookie

Back to top Go down

Post by IGBC on Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:11 am

Moon was soooo good

That is the benchmark I use to judge modern darker sci-fi movies against.

IGBC

Back to top Go down

Post by ALC on Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:55 am

Yes, Moon was very good indeed.

ALC

Back to top Go down

Post by SpaceKookie on Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:50 am

I came out of Moon and had a massive crush on that robot. He was just so cute and all Surprised

I'll be on vacation from tomorrow on, might get the chance to see Riddick for Katee in it :p

SpaceKookie

Back to top Go down

Post by IGBC on Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:53 am

The robot was a box, what is cute about that?

IGBC

Back to top Go down

Post by SpaceKookie on Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:56 am

Cute in a character way, duuh! The way he showed concearn and human empathy and showe his little smiley faces :p Obviously not his box. But I never cared much what people looked like but what their character was like.

SpaceKookie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top